Regional, National and Global
- Diverse: Issues in Higher Education. (2013, March 26). “Twitter and Facebook navigate students through the college process.”
- Huffington Post. (2013, March 21). “Social networking in schools: Educators debate the merits of technology in the classroom.
- Techcrunch. (2013, January 29). “Winners of Facebook, Gates Foundation education app contest are making college easier.”
- HOMTV. (2012, January 30). Interviewed in the segment “Snyder passes anti-bullying legislation.”
- The State News. (2012, January 29). “Apps shaping networking world.”
- USA Today. (2013, January 14). “#Academia: Why Twitter has a home in the classroom.”
- Time Magazine. (2012, December 5). Our work mentioned in “#Twitterfiction: Endless possibilities in 140 characters or less.”
- The Guardian (United Kingdom). (2012, November 28). Our work mentioned in “TwitterFiction Festival to Launch.”
- BBC Mundo. (2012, October 30).”Tuiteratura, un nuevo formato que mejora el aprendizaje.”
- Mashable. (2012, October 29). Our work mentioned in “Twitter Boosts College Grades and Class Engagement.”
- U.S. News & World Report. (2012, October 29). “Twitter improves student learning in classrooms.”
- eCampus News. (2012, October 22). Our work mentioned in “Watch: Twitter boosts college grades and class engagement.”
- e! Science News. (2012, October 17). “Twitter said to improve student learning.”
- Michigan Public Radio. (2012, October 17). “Twitter improves student learning.”
- The Detroit News. (2012, October 17). “MSU Study: Tweeting a ‘new literacy practice’.”
- MLive. (2012, October 17). “MSU Study: Tweeting a ‘new literacy practice’ that can improve student learning.”
- City Pulse. (2012, October 17). “Smart tweeting: MSU Professor links Twitter and learning.”
- Radio 1320 WILS. (2012, October 17). Interviewed for Michigan radio program on Twitteracy article.
- Toronto Telegraph. (2012, October 17). Our work mentioned in “Twitter said to improve student learning.”
- Hispanic Business Magazine. (2012, October 17). Our work mentioned in “Twitter said to improve student learning”
- Newstrack India & Yahoo! India. (2012, October 18). “Twitter going beyond Bieber and Lady Gaga chit-chats to improve student learning: Study.”
- Star Tribune. (2012, September 10). Quoted in “The Good Side of Social Media.”
- Edu-Tech Magazine (in Italian). (2012, August). Story on the impact of social networking on education.
- The State News. (2012, April 19). Quoted in “Facebook’s Groups for Schools bonds together MSU students.”
- Carroll County Times. (2012, February 2). Quoted in “Super Bowl Ads could keep viewers checking social network sites.“
- Congressional Quarterly Researcher. (2011, December). Quoted in “Digital Education.”
- Los Angeles Daily News. (2011, October 2). My research mentioned in “LAUSD tries to establish new rules as universe grows around it“
- Interview for Veja Magazine – Brazil. (2011, Sept 28).
- San Francisco Chronicle. (2011, September 4). My research featured in “Facebook can help students succeed, professor says“
- Carroll County Times. (2011, September 11). Quoted in “Experts see larger social media activity in national events.”
- California Watch. (2011, August 26). My research featured in “Social networking helps students perform better, professor says”
- Huffington Post. (2011, August 3). Quoted in my critique of Missouri Law that would limit using the internet and social media in schools “Missouri ‘Facebook Law’ limits teacher-student interactions online: Draws criticism and praise“
- Huffington Post. (2011, March 27). My research cited in the article “Social networking in schools: Educators debate the merits of technology in classrooms“
- Literacy News. (2011, March 6). Features the special issue of On the Horizon on Social Media and Education (Greenhow, Guest Editor).
- eSchool News. (2011, Feb 7). Interviewed about teachers’ and parents’ spying on students’ Facebook accounts “Social media monitoring services stir debate…“
- Discovery Channel News. (2010, October 14). Interviewed about my research on adolescents and social media for a story “Does the internet make you smart…“
- eSchool News. (2010, Sept 13). Asked to comment for story, “Online learning less effective for some.”
- eSchool News. (2010, May 12). Asked to comment for story, “Ning stays free for educators, with restrictions.“
- Wisconsin Public Radio. (2010, May 7). Interview with Joy Cardin for “Ideas Network” show on social media research and issues.
- KSTP-TV (an affiliate of ABC). (2010, April 28). “Do you know how much of your info is online.” TV appearance talking about information-sharing and privacy on social network sites. http://kstp.com/news/stories/s1533431.shtml
- Twin Cities Live KSTP-TV (an affiliate of ABC). (2010, April 8). “Facebook Legal issues.” TV appearance talking about social norms and issues for law and policy that surround online social networking. http://twincitieslive.com/article/stories/S1454267.shtml?cat=11215
- KARE 11 TV, an NBC affiliate. (2010, February 17). Asked to comment for “Think you’re safe online” http://www.kare11.com/print.aspx?storyid=851112
- Pew Future of the Internet IV Report. (2010, February 2010 ). Quoted on the changing nature of intelligence.
- Ladies Home Journal Magazine. (2009, February 17 interview for October 2009 issue). Interview on my research regarding potential learning applications of social media.
- National Public Radio (NPR) – Future Tense. (2009, Nov 16). Interview on my research on social networking applications and insights for design of news and online education. http://www.publicradio.org/columns/futuretense/
- WCCO-TV Channel 4. (2009, Nov 16). Interview on the social effects of living with or without the Internet. http://wcco.com/local/internet.survive.without.2.1316480.html
- The State News. (2009, June 8). Quoted in Social Science.
- Wired Magazine. (2009, May 9 interview). Interview on my research on learning, social media and youth for a series on social network sites in the workplace.
- WCCO-TV Channel 4 News at 10 (CBS affiliate). (2009, June 23). Interviewed for a TV segment on young people’s uses of social network sites. http://wcco.com/goodquestion/facebook.age.appropriate.2.1057145.html
- Minnesota Parent Magazine. (2009, June/July). “Facebook: Not Just for Grown-ups Anymore” interviewed about my youth & social media research and implications for parents: http://www.mnparent.com/index.php?&story=13784&page=88&category=53
- Minnesota Public Radio – Midmorning Show. (2009, April 28). “ Social networking and relationships.” http://minnesotapublicradio.or/display/web/2009/04/28/midmorning2/
- Working Mother Magazine. (2009, June/July). Interview on implications of my research on youth and social media for families. http://www.workingmother.com/?service=vpage/95.
- Access Minnesota, interview for regional radio broadcast on “Dangers of social networking” segment (October 4, 2009).
- Twin Cities Live KSTP-TV (an affiliate of ABC). (2009, April 2). “Facebook 101.” TV appearance talking about Facebook phenomena and my research projects on youth and social media: Hot Dish and MN Daily http://twincitieslive.com/article/stories/s862622.shtml?cat=11215
- Edutopia. (2009, May).“Digital Youth” interviewed to comment on trends in young people’s informal learning with new media.
- Knight Foundation Pulse. (2009, April). “Facebook: Engaging Young People in News” interview about our Knight-funded youth & social media research.
- Fox 9 News TV. (2009, March 10).“Facebook: Addiction by Addition?” interviewed discussing the up side of social network site uses.” See video here:
- Fox 9 News TV. (2009, March 10).“In-Depth: Bringing the Past into the Present?” interviewed discussing SNS relationships. See video here:
- Pioneer Press. (2009, February 28). “REALLY penitent? Some Twin Cities faithful give up Facebook for Lent” http://www.twincities.com/ci_11804597?nclick_check=1
- KARE 11 TV, an NBC affiliate. (2009, February 17).“Social Media and your kids: What’s appropriate?” interviewed about my research on adolescents’ use of social network sites and educational benefitshttp://www.kare11.com/news/local/mornings/sunrise_article.aspx?storyid=539800&catid=16
- Seattle Times. (2009, March 4). “Seattle’s Grist fuels Facebook’s climate-change forum” quoted about the research on the Knight Grant youth and social media study. http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2008808693_grist04m.html?syndication=rss
- Pioneer Press. (2009, January 25). “New wrinkle for Facebook: It’s not just for students anymore.” quoted talking about the globalization of support networks http://preview.twincities.com/ci_11529858?IADID=Search-preview.twincities.com-preview.twincities.com
- Pioneer Press. (2009, January 5). “Technology spending varies from district to district” quoted saying that technology has been shown to improve student learning outcomes. http://www.twincities.com/ci_11368669?nclick_check=1
- Columbia Missourian. (2008, December 30). “Social Networking isn’t a Waste, Duh” mentions my research on youth learning within online social networks. http://www.columbiamissourian.com/stories/2008/12/30/macarthur-study-finds-social-networking-isnt-total-waste-time/
- Currents Magazine, a magazine of the Council for Advancement and Support of Education (2008, December 1). Interview on my research on young people’s use of online social network sites for education.
- Educause. (2008, October 21). The ECAR Study of Undergraduates and Information Technology, 2008, mention of my research on links between participation in social network sites and learning. http://net.educause.edu/ir/library/pdf/ers0808/rs/ers08086.pdf
- ED Magazine (2009, January), a Harvard University publication (28,000 subscribers). “Thanks for the ADD. Now help me with my homework.” A feature article on my research of youth’s learning and school-related practices within social network sites. http://www.gse.harvard.edu/blog/news_features_releases/2009/01/thanks-for-the-add-now-help-me-with-my-homework.html
- KSTP-TV Channel 5 Eyewitness News AM (an affiliate of ABC), interview for segment on high school students’ use of new information and communication technologies (September 17, 2008). http://www.kare11.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=524397&catid=2
- Danish journal Ingenioeren (www.ing.dk) published a story about my work, “Facebook og MySpace ruster børn fra fattige familier til fremtiden Sociale netværkssider styrker teknologiske og sociale evner, mener netværksforsker.” By Jesper Gormsen (September 19, 2008). http://ing.dk/artikel/91325
- Twin Cities Live KSTP-TV (an affiliate of ABC), live television segment on the topic of teens’ learning and political participation through social network sites (September 3, 2008). http://twincitieslive.com/article/day/S20080903.shtml?cat=10699&v=182392
- MinnPost.com (Monday, July 14) “MySpace, Facebook are more than Cyberspace hangouts.”
- Access Minnesota, interview for regional radio broadcast on social networks research (Week of July 13, 2008) Syndicated through 50 radio stations with audience of approximately 60,000. To view: http://www.accessminnesotaonline.com/downloads.htm
- Metro News Canada (Toronto), interview for “Appraising Facebook” segment (July 8, 2008). http://www.metronews.ca/toronto/learn/article/80277–appraising-facebook
- KCSN Radio News (Calif), interview on educational benefits of social network sites (July 3, 2008).
- CBS News, interview for Daniel Sieberg Science and Technology segment regarding my research on teens’ 21st century learning in social network sites (Monday, June 30, 2008).
- Metro News Canada (Toronto), mention of my research in “Online Networks Have Benefits” (July 8, 2008). http://www.metronews.ca/toronto/learn/article/80279–online-networks-have-benefits
- KSTP-TV Channel 5 Eyewitness News AM (an affiliate of ABC), news video segment on my research on education and social network sites (Friday, June 20, 2008). To view: http://www.criticalmention.com/ctv31/landing_email.php?type=email&video=true
- ASCD SmartBrief (electronic newsletter distributed to the Association for the Supervision and Curriculum Development with 175, 000 members from 119), on the topic “Social networking sites may teach valuable skills” (June 25, 2008). To View: http://r.smartbrief.com/resp/lymItVkjCvhvpUfCfOaVAvQi
- eSchool News, story on my social network sites research (June 23, 2008).
- Star Tribune (Minneapolis, MN) story on my research regarding the educational benefits of social network sites (June 20, 2008)To view: http://www.startribune.com/lifestyle/family/20598114.html?location_refer=Homepage
- Scholastic Magazine, On Our Minds Blog on By Tyler Reed (June 20, 2008)To view: http://onourmindsatscholastic.blogspot.com/2008/06/study-social-networks-give-kids-21st.html
- Digital divide? What digital divide?
THE Journal (Calif.) June 22, 2008
- New research reveals educational benefits of social networking web sites
TMCnet.com (Conn.) June 20, 2008
- MySpace, Facebook & Orkut’s educational side revealed
Economic Times (India) June 21, 2008
- Social studies
Erie Times-News (Pa.) June 22, 2008
- Social networking sites provide educational benefits to students – study
Telecom Paper (The Netherlands) June 23, 2008
- Even poor kids are social network savvy
Scientific American (N.Y.) June 26, 2008
- Other mentions of my work included in Seattle Times (WA), Boston Herald (MA), Miami Sun Herald (FLA), IT Business Net, TechNews World, MacNewsWorld, Science News (Canada), EarthTimes (UK), CNET News, HeraldNet (WA), The Daily Collegian, Penn State University (PA).
- Cable TV (Channel 6), interview for Minerva program on regional cable TV (Channel 6) on the topic “Social Network Sites.” May 10 interview aired on June 22, 2008.
- Twin Cities Live KSTP-TV (an affiliate of ABC), interview for television segment on the topic of online dating and social network sites (May 21, 2008)
- WCCO Radio interview on the topic “Social Network Sites like MySpace and Facebook among Teens.” April 12 Interview available here: https://blog.lib.umn.edu/cgi-bin/msearch.cgi?IncludeBlogs=5960&search=greenhow
Local, University Media Coverage(*partial list)
- U of M Press Release (2009, Nov 16). “Could Facebook make America Smarter? New University of Minnesota Study Finds Social Media Engages Young People in Content More than Traditional Web sites.” http://www1.umn.edu/news/news-releases/2009/UR_CONTENT_146800.html
- U of M Brief (electronic university-wide newsletter), story on educational benefits of social networks.
- U of M Press Release (2009, March 30). “University of Minnesota Researchers Designing Facebook application to Engage Students.” http://www1.umn.edu/news/news-releases/2009/UR_CONTENT_105959.html
- U of M Press Release (2008, June 19). “Educational Benefits of Social Network Sites.” http://www1.umn.edu/news/news-releases/2008/UR_RELEASE_MIG_4855.html
- U of M Brief (electronic university-wide newsletter) (2009, May 13), story on our youth and social media research. “A new facebook application to foster student news-sharing.”
- Mention of my receiving the University’s Outstanding Postdoctoral Scholar Award, 2008-2009 in Connect, the College’s Alumni Magazine, Fall 2008. http://cehd.umn.edu/Pubs/Connect/2008fall/compendium.html
- CEHD Inside/Out (December 11, 2008) “Greenhow Wins Grant for Youth and Social Media Study” http://blog.lib.umn.edu/cehd/insideout/2008/12/greenhow_wins_grant_for_youth.html#more
- CEHD Inside/Out (December 8, 2008) “Greenhow Quoted in Report on Undergrads and Technology” http://blog.lib.umn.edu/cehd/insideout/2008/12/greenhow_quoted_in_report_on_u.html#more
- CEHD Inside/Out (July 21, 2008) “Greenhow Wins University of Minnesota Postdoc Award” http://blog.lib.umn.edu/cehd/insideout/departments/curriculum_and_instruction/
- CEHD Inside/Out (Thursday, June 26, 2008) “Social Networking News Spreads Far and Wide” http://blog.lib.umn.edu/cehd/insideout/2008/06/social_networking_news_spreads.html
- University of Minnesota Moment, (Monday, June 23) “The Good Side of Social Networking” featuring my research on teens’ informal learning with social technologies.
Visit the U of M Moment blog at http://blog.lib.umn.edu/urelate/radio/.
Podcasting on iTunes: http://www.itunes.com/podcast?id=263737188
- U of M Brief (electronic university-wide newsletter), story on educational benefits of social networks.
- CEHD Inside/Out (April 29, 2008) “Greenhow on WCCO radio” http://blog.lib.umn.edu/cehd/insideout/departments/curriculum_and_instruction/
- U of M Brief (electronic university-wide newsletter), story on the Networks and Neighborhoods in CyberSpace Symposium, January 30, 2008.
- U of M Brief (electronic university-wide newsletter), interview about my social networks research and SEED grant-funded research on teens’ use and learning in social network sites for “Seeds of Change,” November 7, 2007.
- CEHD Inside/Out (November 19, 2007) “Greenhow wins grant to hold seminars on online research ethics” http://blog.lib.umn.edu/cehd/insideout/departments/curriculum_and_instruction/
- CEHD Inside/Out (September 24, 2007) “Greenhow proposal receives funding” http://blog.lib.umn.edu/cehd/insideout/departments/curriculum_and_instruction/
- CEHD Inside/Out (September 24, 2007) “ISTE invites Greenhow” to National Educational Technology Leadership Summit http://blog.lib.umn.edu/cehd/insideout/departments/curriculum_and_instruction/