For PhD students and new faculty everywhere!
In Dignity of the Calling: Educators Share the Beginnings of Their Journeys (2018), edited by Dr. Andrew Kemp, faculty share their stories from PhD to entry into higher education. These stories focus on the deeply personal nature of the new academic. Framed around the idea that life experience guides what we do, this collection of memoirs, recollections, and personal narratives allows the reader to share these lived experiences.
- Foreword—Where Do We Come From? What Are We? Where Are We Going? William Ayers.
- Introduction—Imposter: A Postmodern Reflection on Life, Higher Education, and Authenticity, Andrew T. Kemp.
- SECTION I: TRANSFORMATIONAL SCHOLARS.
- Teaching and the Neverending Story: Some Reflections on My Reflections, Peter McLaren.
- Toward Becoming a University Professor Who Teaches Education: Some Note for Possible Deliberation, O.L. Davis, Jr.
- My Life in an Evolving University, Marcella L. Kysilka.
- Reflections on Reward and the Hidden Curriculum of Academe, William H. Schubert.
- VIGNETTES I: JOURNEYS OF TIMES AND SPACE, Christine Greenhow (Check out my story on telecommuting as an academic), Alison G. Dover, Lisa Brown Buchanan, Comfort Ateh, Scott Farver, Angela W. Webb, Richelle Marynowski, and Seungho Moon.
- VIGNETTES II: JOURNEYS OF PERSPECTIVE, José Rios, Byung-In Seo, Cassandra Trousas, Jennifer Hall, Mahauganee D. Shaw Bonds, Nancy Arrington, Meg White, Natasha Veale, and Jessica A. Heybach.
- SECTION II: CONTEMPORARY SCHOLARS.
- Strange Roads Are the Easiest Roads: Academic Journeys of the 21st Century, David Callejo Perez.
- First Year Lessons: Striving for Imperfection, David Flinders.
- Telephone Books, Teddy Bears, and the Tenure Track, Brian D. Schultz.
- VIGNETTES III: DISCOVERING A PLACE: A JOURNEY, Allyson L. Watson, Misty M. Kirby, Veena Paliwal, Joe Norris, Patricia Sánchez, John A. Cassell, Ritesh Shah, Mandy Stewart, Kenneth J. Fasching-Varner, Lucila T. Rudge, and Sabrina Ross.
- VIGNETTES IV: JOURNEYS OF THE SELF, Roxanne Greitz Miller, Lisa L. Beymer, Chad Everett Allan, Wendy Bollag, Marc Pietrzykowski, Lauren Madden, Edward Podsiadlik and John Bond, Cathy Smeltzer Erb,Regina Murphy, Kristan Venegas and Araceli Espinoza, and Nosisi N. Feza.
- SECTION III: EMERGING SCHOLARS.
- From Oz to Reality: A Personal Journey in a Wonderful Land, William L. White.
- What’s Love Got to Do With It? Explorations on Emotion as a Tool for Professional Growth and Transformation, Samara Dawn Akpovo and Cynthia B. Dillard.
- Out to Save the World, Dana L. Haraway.
- The Road to Somewhere: The Passing and Evolution of an Academic, C. Steven Page.
- A Doctorate, a Baby, and a Professorship—Oh My! It’s All About Perspective, Erin Evans.
- Humanizing the Tenure Process: Toward a Pedagogy of Heart, Lilia D. Monzó.
- Origins and Payment Forward: Reflections on My Path to Social Justice Education and Advice to New Faculty, Joseph Flynn.
- VIGNETTES V: TRAVELING COMPANIONS, Natasha S. Reid and Patricia J. Spafford, Travis York and Tiffanie Lewis, Kate Newburgh
and Paul Michalec, Farveh Ghafouri, Monica McGlynn Stewart, and Shelley Murphy, Chris Carger, Michelle Gimenez Hinkle, David A. Fuentes, Ellen Pozzi, and Manina Urgolo-Huckvale, Paige M. Bray and Regina Miller, Shelley B. Harris, Rebecca West Burns, Jeffrey S. Kaplan and Elsie L. Olan.
- VIGNETTES VI: AN ACADEMIC TRAVEL GUIDE, Eve R. Bernstein, Randall Deppensmith, Marcus Roberts and Ryan Silva, Laquore J. Meadows, Betina Hsieh, Jason Paul Siko, Erika C.Bullock and Christopher C. Jett, Ellis Hurd, Ismael Flores Martí,and Nancy P. Gallavan.
The Curriculum I Am/We Are, Andrew T. Kemp (I am) and C. Steven Page (We are). The Travelers.
WHERE TO BUY: It is available to order on the publisher’s website https://www.infoagepub.com/products/Dignity–of–the–Calling and on Amazon and on all major online retailer sites throughout the world. The book will be/is available as an eBook on Google, Apple, as well as over 25 other online outlets.